Do you believe in love at first Sight?

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Mr. Right (Now?)


Yet again i'm swept off my feet by a wave of romance portrayed as love, and yet again i'm forced to think about if its truly what i want. I have decided to give up my search for a fairly tale love, seeing as though it doesn't nor ever well exist, but now i'm forced to try and figure out a way to know if i am truly in love with Sam the way I've convinced myself. Before today there was no doubt in my mind that we were, and i'm not entirely sure why i doubt that now. At the age of 17 i guess it's something i shouldn't have to worry about, but being the way i am, i do. My family has a strange way of finding their true loves young. My grand parents met at the age of fifteen and got married as soon as they turned eighteen, my aunt and uncle were high school sweethearts that also got married as soon as they could. My mother wasn't so lucky, though she met my father and got married the second the law allowed, he wasn't her true love, she did try again, she found someone new before the divorce was final, and then again after that.... so it seems that you either find your true love young or you don't find him... I was never too worried about that to tell you the truth, but every time i got a new boyfriend, my family would treat it as if they thought it would last forever. even now with Sam, talk of someday getting married is a common topic of conversation with my family, but later when laughing about it with Sam, i felt uneasy about the words that followed. We both made it clear that we loved each other very much but at this time we did not want to think of marriage. Which was fine with me. He went on to say that he didn't want to get married at all, that he just wanted to date for ten years and have a common law marriage, this is what got me thinking. I told him that someday i would like to be married but it wasn't too high up on my list. As the conversation went on he revealed something else that made me a little uneasy. His idea of what to do about cheating. He said if someone in the relationship cheats then all that needed to be done to fix it was the other person gets a free pass to cheat. I do not agree with this, i believe that cheating is a bigger deal then that, its betraying the other persons trust and just "evening the score" will not repair that. I guess tonight just opened my eyes to the fact that this is not a forever thing, although i never thought it as something that would last forever i never thought about it as something that wouldn't. but today i see our ideas and thoughts about relationships are different, and though its not a problem right now, i fear someday it will be. So where do i go from here? On one hand i'm knowingly continuing a relationship i know will fail, on the other i'm 17 and i'm allowed to just date for the fun and experience of it all. Any Advice??

1 comment:

  1. Since you're asking for advice.... here are some random thoughts anyway..
    You're absolutely allowed to date to meet people. Be honest and true to those around you and get to know all the people you can. You only live once.
    I feel like I asked myself the same thing at 17. I spent years with a kid I "loved" because I did care for him. (But it wasn't time to settle). I was 24 years old the first time I was "single". Life doesnt need such pressure. But... you never know what will fail until it does. You just have to live a day at a time and be happy, unafraid and true to yourself.
    You are young and free and can be happy.
    Write it out, you'll be ok. And talking is good!

    ReplyDelete